Prinsesa ng Banyera

Prinsesa ng Banyera
Jologs and Proud (hindi pa pantay ang kulay!)

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

On Pitbull Attacks and Fatness Level



This was supposedly an ordinary day.
I woke up and noticed LD had gotten up earlier than me (which happens alot). Groggily walked down the stairs and he greeted me with a smile. He asked me "Kain na tayo?" and I said "Maya na..." It was a typical scenario on a typical day. I went to Steve's farout corner and he smiled (well, I always think he does although he doesn't seem like doing it). Steve licked my hand and tried to jump on my open hand.
After lunch LD and I took him for an afternoon walk and we played under the hot sun. I completely ignored the fact that I was going for the flawless white look (blame it on my whitening pills business) and played with Steve. A few minutes later another dog owner took their pet pitbull (a big black one!) and their mixed breed (I insist they won't be called "askal" because they don't live on the streets anymore) for a walk alongside us. My 11 month old Jack Russell (true to his breed) is always jumpy and hyperactive and started barking to the dog with the mixed breed. My little Steve has always been highly territorial and never passes an oppurtunity to defend "his" land. The two dogs were exchanging not very friendly snarls but I held on to my dog's leash tightly. I noticed the pitbull was inquisitive as well and tried to check out what the commotion was all about by tugging on his own leash. Then it happened. The pitbull's leash cracked and split. He charged into my dog's direction. I let go of my dog's leash so he can defend himself and the other dogs' owner ran off to call on the other owner who knows how to calm down the pitbull. The next thing I knew there were 2 large dogs against my little dog. I thought he was a goner! My bf bravely went into the dog pile and scruffed my Steve by the neck. The other owner of the pitbull came and calmed their pet. It took about 20min before the rumble stopped. And yes, I've been shrieking and crying out for help and silently praying all at the same time.
The end result? The pitbull has a bleeding leg (who would've thought my little dog can injure that massive dog?), the mixed breed has scratches and my Steve with 4 bitemarks. All were bruised and angry but safe. Its safety that matters anyway. The pitbull owners were nice an they apologized profusely for the mishap claiming their pitbull only killed cats (yup, killed) but we apologized as well since their pitbull wasn't in a good shape either. The pitbull's blood has stained the pavement and the dog seemed to be dazed for a bit after the fight.
I hugged my Steve tightly and scolded him for being such a nasty brute but I kissed him, too. He was such a brave dog! The fight was lopsided on the pitbull's end but he fought like a tiger AND survived (which is a miracle!!!).
I therfore conclude (science experiment?) that dogs have nine lives.
Above all I realized God's blessing in every little detail. There is no really such a thing as a typical day. Being alive is so great! Its just us who always have routine. But the world itself... goes on.
*P.S I think dogs pray, too. After the incident I gave my dog a pillow and some old clothes for his bedding. I knew he was tired so I thought to make him comfy. Before I left his dog house I prayed and thanked God for giving Steve another chance. When I opened my eyes to look at him he slowly opened his eyes, too. I guess he prayed with me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home

Is there hope for the Philippines?